Re: Kernel hang with latest snapshot

David Boreham wrote:
The saga continues...

Tonight's installment:

I spun up a totally new machine : P4 with HT, 2G ram.
Installed FC5, updated to latest fedora mirror state.
Upgraded elf utils using the rpms from redhat systemtap ftp server.
Installed kernel devel, kernel debug.
Pulled systemtap from cvs, built, installed.
Tried to use LKET. Machine hangs just like the previous
two machines I tried.

I asked Bibo to test LKET on his machines. He tried several machines and all of them works well. Did you uninstall SystemTap shipped with FC5 before install from cvs?

Next, I wanted to test the theory that systemtap in general, and not LKET is broken for me. So I went back to my trusty vmware machine. Found some systemtap example stp scripts in the src/examples/small_demos directory. Basically every script I have tried in there works perfectly. No hangs, crashes, just works. I've tested so far: kmalloc.stp, close.stp, fileopen.stp.

Can you try to run these stap scripts with -bM option and see if they will crash?

Lastly I tested the theory that perhaps it's only the iosyscall
stuff in LKET that's causing me trouble. I instead tried network I/O
like this:

stap -b -M -e "probe addevent.netdev.receive {}" -v

The kernel crashes just as nicely as before :(

Could you please try the following:

1) stap -bMv -e "probe addevent.netdev.receive {}" -D ASCII_TRACE
  if this works, then it should be relayfs that cause the trouble

2) try this script with/without -bM option:
   probe syscall.open
   {
     printf("%0s%4b%4b", filename, flags, mode)
   }

Thanks and looking forward to your reply

- Guanglei