Re: Kernel hang with latest snapshot

My approach is usually to set up a serial console and collect the output of the stack back trace on another machine using minicom. This requires a second machine and a null modem cable. This approach doesn't work so well on machines that don't have serial ports like newer laptops.

Ha ! If I want to get really retro, I have a VT220 here somewhere...

Does vmware allow you to set up a virtual serial console and route the output to another vmware virtual machine?

It would appear that the vmware people thought of this already. There is an option to add a virtualized serial device to the VM, the output from which can be written to a file on the host machine. This option is disabled by default.

Thanks for the pointer...