Re: [RFC] Proposal of marker implementation

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:33:11 +0900, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:

> Each marker has 6bytes NOP. I think we can replace it with a jump code
> safely by using djprobe. Note: we can not replace it with a "call" code
> because it will break some caller-save registers.

You can use a call instruction if the function you're calling is an
assembly stub which saves caller-saved registers and then calls a C
function (passing the saved return address as a parameter so the probe
point can be located).

Alternately, you could do a normal C function call and then replace
the call instruction with NOPs as a post-processing step. This method lets
the C compiler save the caller-saved registers for you, and you can easily
pass parameters.