RE: [perfmon] Re: perfmon2 TODO list (4/4)

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> The translator could cross-compile for several alternative cpu
> flavours (all within an architecture, or selected ones identified by
> the user, like a "fat" executable).  The module would pick the
> appropriate PMU configuration set one during initialization time, or
> else abort.
>
>> If we can delay this until runtime, it could still be managed in
>> user-mode via the stpd daemon [...]
>
> That is an alternate possibility, one somewhat less preferable.

I would hate to require SystemTap to know all of the possible variations
that should be included in the fat binary - that is the point of having
libpfm in the first place.  A statement like "all within an
architecture" is still painful when dealing with the P4.  In a
"delayed-resolution" model, SystemTap can remain ignorant of
architectural differences.

Josh