Re: System tap use case

I don't think anyone answered this did they?

You have the extreme of extreme problems. Unless you can get data out of
your system you can't debug it deductively with any tools that are
contained within the system.

However if you can extract data, for example by triggering a crashdump from
an NMI interrupt then you're in with a chance. A few vital clues in the
dmsg buffer, whether from SystemTap instrumentation or from any other
source might just give you the temporal information you need to go with a
dump. If it doesn't then systemtap will at least allow you to easily add
additional or alternative instrumentation. You also have the choice of
dumping trace data into a relayfs channel so you can be somewhat
independent of the dmesg buffer size.