Re: Implementing a generic binary trace interface.

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Hi -

[...] One of simpler ways, I think, is to allow the script functions
to take long arrays as its arguments. Thus, we can transport whole
the array to user space as like below;

function array_log ( map:long[] ) %{
[...]
%}

Can you think of a scenario where tracing an entire array could be necessary in a time-critical place? If not, then coding the array printing by an explicit foreach would not be a serious burden.

- FChE

Its not really a problem if you are only planning on having a single trace point. The problem is that as you add more trace hooks little burdens start adding up. Some of the uses that we have for our trace tool require multiple hooks working together. If running a trace impacts the performance to much, that impact may change some of the performance characteristics of the workload making the trace useless.

-JRS