Re: double fault -> PAGE_KERNEL flagged memory

* Roland McGrath (roland@redhat.com) wrote:
> > Then this is analogous to the problem of calling printk from within an
> > inconveniently placed kprobe.  What can we do to eliminate this
> > vulnerability?  Can we somehow arrange to "fault in" all probe-related
> > kernel-space vmalloc areas into new process' address spaces, so we don't
> > encounter this unintentional and undesirable reentrancy?
>
> What's the reason for using vmalloc then?  Why not use kmalloc that doesn't
> need page table changes?

kmalloc needs contiguous pages of memory. It can be problematic in a system
where the memory is fragmented and the requested allocation size is big.

Mathieu

OpenPGP public key:              http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint:     8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F  BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68