Re: outside conversations

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> It looks like the OLS paper, and another IBM marketing paper, has
> aroused some interest and criticism of systemtap in the weblog world,
> especially among Solaris developers and fans.  Too much fuss really.
> dtrace is an excellent tool from what I gather.  Sun has had many fine
> engineers and lots of time, plus older research projects to start
> from.

FWIW, as someone who's been championing Linux for the past 10 years ...

I haven't seen these particular postings, but I have seen Solaris
developers and fans foam about Linux's tracing/probing capabilities (or
lack thereof) in the past, and I'm particularly unimpressed. In all
likelihood these same people may even be lurking silently on this list
as it is.

All I have to say is that it sucks being them. Regardless of how much
sweat they've put on their platform, it's on its way to extinction
and there's just nothing they can do about it.

Life's tough ...

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits