Re: JVM TI/PI integration

Andi Kleen wrote:

<steve.russell@ubs.com> writes:

Hello,

We've started testing some of the early system tap work (we're heavy users of one of those 'other' projects as well) and were wondering if anyone had banged together a JVM TI (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jvmti/) integration probe? If so, we can provide some concrete feedback on effectiveness and usability in a number of different code/style environments.

systemtap is kprobes based and kprobes doesn't do user space.

The older dprobes has support for user space instrumentation though
using special kernel patches. Unlike systemtap it also actually
already works reasonably well.

-Andi

Andi,

It is our goal to bring fwd user space probes patch to systemtap but we are first focusing on getting the infrastructure and kernel space probes ready and we will attack user space probes next.

You and others have expressed comments about the user space probes patch in the past, we would like to address them before we bring it forward to systemtap.

bye,
Vara Prasad