Re: safety paper - please send feedback!

You can safely and simply deal with procedure calls, loops and recursion by
implementing a counter which is decremented for any attempted
non-sequential execution. We did this in dprobes and called it jmpmax.  You
could allow the user to override the default counter value, but never allow
it to become disabled. If the counter is decremented to zero then the
probes is terminated.

On this basis I would allow procedure calls.
- -
Richard J Moore
IBM Advanced Linux Response Team - Linux Technology Centre
MOBEX: 264807; Mobile (+44) (0)7739-875237
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072

             "Chen, Brad"
             <brad.chen@inte
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                   <systemtap@sources.redhat.com>
             systemtap-owner                                            cc
             @sources.redhat
             .com                                                      bcc

                                                                   Subject
             23/03/2005                 safety paper - please send
             19:14                      feedback!

I've collected some thoughts on Safety in Systemtap for
consideration by the group. It includes a list of possible
safety features, implementation options, and a strawman
proposal for what we might actually do. Feedback would be
much appreciated.

Note: This is a UNIX text file. Windows users: try write or
emacs. Notepad doesn't understand UNIX text.

Brad
(See attached file: ST_Safety.txt)