This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the SID project.
Re: [RFC] New cpu --- Morpho ms1
Frank Ch. Eigler writes:
> Hi -
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:46:38PM -0700, Doug Evans wrote:
> > Imagine if bison or autoconf had encoded in them knowledge of particular
> > applications that used them.
> > [...]
> Well, the RTL model needed extension to allow for delayed operations.
> Since this part of the RTL was only used for instruction semantics,
> and thus simulators, adding some more specialized code is not that bad.
- nit: it's not necessarily the case that insn semantics would only
be used by simulators
- e.g. the operand tables derived from insn semantics are used by m32r gas
- even if it were, the patch hardwires the test to SID-SIMULATOR
- adding specialized code can be "that bad" because without adequate
commenting like "do as I say, not as I do", more and more such code
creeps in over time
- imagine if there's 20 different apps (as in (eq? APPLICATION mumble))
all with their own little tweaks to rtl-c.scm
Remove the appearance of the text "SID" from rtl-c.scm and parameterize
the feature on something generic and I'd be happier.