Testsuite leaks file descriptors

I first noticed this on Solaris, but this problem is present on other
host platforms as well.  On a Linux system, you can lower your maximum
number of open file descriptors to a reasonable number like 40:

       % ulimit -n 40

make check will fairly quickly deteriorate once this number of open
file descriptors is reached.  From what I could tell, sid_stop is
called in the framework to stop the spawned `sid' process and then
wait() for it.  Checking the expect process using lsof shows that
there are an ever-growing number of /dev/ptmx files open.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ben