RPM notes

I started making RPMs today, and thought I'd share some random notes for
the record...

* I've created nice RPM configury for 4 of the packages: xerces,
gnu.readline, rhino, and jakarta-oro.  They're very easy to create once
you have the pattern down.

* We currently create two kinds of RPMs..  rhug-PACKAGE-VERSION and
rhug-PACKAGE-VERSION-devel.

* The non-devel version currently contains executables, .so files and
.jar files.  You could argue that the .jar file should go into the
-devel package, but maybe the right thing is to stick them into noarch
packages and make -devel depend on those.

* Normally non-devel library RPMs contain *.so.* , and not *.so files
(which go in -devel).  However, our classloader currently looks for *.so
files, so we must include those in the non-devel package.  Should we
change the classloader?  How would it know which version to load?

* I'm installing the .jar files in $prefix/share/java (but no links to
an ext directory yet -- let's wait for the tools to catch up).

* The packages know whether or not they're being built in a unified
tree, or separately, and set the classpath and -L options appropriately
at configure time.

* I submitted a patch to rpm-list@redhat.com to add support for GCJFLAGS
in RPM.  RPM already sets CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and FFLAGS appropriately.
GCJFLAGS is an obvious addition, but it's not critical yet.

* I haven't dealt with docs yet (.html files).  Most of them will live
in the -devel packages.

* Much of the specs files should be generated from the info.rml files.

* Creating RPMs is easy.  Run "make dist" in the package directory to
create rhug-PACKAGE-VERSION.tar.gz, then run "rpm -ta
rhug-PACKAGE-VERSION.tar.gz".  It will extract the spec file from the
tar ball and take care of everything.

* Obviously there are no RPMs yet for the latest gcj libs which are
needed to run these things.  You have to force the install like so...
"rpm -hiv --nodeps rhug-gnu_readline-0.6-1.i386.rpm" and just put
libgcj.so and friends in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

That's it for now.

AG