libtool woes

I was trying to cross-compile the rhug source-tree using the latest gcc
HEAD build. Unfortunately, the build runs into trouble with the Java
resource-files, to wit:

libtool: link: cannot build libtool library `lib-org-mozilla.la' from
non-libtool objects on this host:
upstream/src/org/mozilla/javascript/resources/Messages.o
upstream/src/org/mozilla/javascript/resources/Security.o

The problem is that the .properties files have a hard-coded build-rule
using a plain compile to .o instead of using the libtool. This naturally
leaves me wondering what's the intended purpose/behaviour.

Ps. some of the Makefile.am's even call "gcj" straight instead of
$(GCJ)...

 -Jukka Santala