Re: starvation in pthread_once?

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 22:00 -0500, Gottlob Frege wrote:
> I was thinking of something like this: (haven't compiled it yet or anything...)

This is definitely the more interesting solution. A slight downside is
the ABI change (pthread_once_t and PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT). So this is what
I'd like to do:-

- because of the ABI change, I will put out a new snapshot today
containing the version I posted earlier (no ABI change and fixes the
starvation problem) plus the other bug fix (handle leak fix).

- after that, include the version below in CVS after testing it, ready
for the next snapshot, which will have a new dll name (pthreadVC2.dll
etc.) and compatibility version number.

- generate another [new] snapshot in a few days if no complications or
other issues arise in the meantime.

One other thing:- since pthread_once() is being redesigned, I'm also
looking at the latest SUS3 spec and trying to decide what the following
paragraph means for threads that are already waiting:-

"The pthread_once() function is not a cancelation point. However, if
init_routine is a cancelation point and is canceled, the effect on
once_control shall be as if pthread_once() was never called."

Should one or more waiting threads get woken up and made to re-compete
to run the init routine? That's the only sensible (maybe even obvious)
thing to do AFAIKS.

Ross