From: Hung Huynh [mailto:Hung.Huynh@emw.ericsson.se]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 12:37 PM
To: pthreads-win32@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: mutex_lock on solaris vs. winnt

Hi!

I'm trying to port some code from unix (solaris) to windows nt.
The code uses pthread mutexes to create a binary semaphore for
reading (many-at-a-time) and writing (one-at-a-time).

I have just found out that if you in unix do pthread_unix_lock
twice on the same mutex, and in the same process, you will lock. But
trying to do the same thing in windows nt (with pthread-win32 released
1999-11-02)
won't give the same behaviour. Is this because the WaitForSingleObject
in windows
will allow multiple locks in the same process? Should it be like this or
is it
something that is just not yet implemented in pthread-win32?

As you can tell I'm a newbie, and i'll appreciate very much any
information
on this. Thank you in advance.

/Hung