RE: More porting questions

Dear Neta,

> PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE_NP - a constant
> PTHREAD_MUTEX_FAST_NP - a constant
> pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np(...) - this is a function

Please note that 'np' in the function (and constant) names stands for
Non-Portable. That means that any design using those functions is
non-portable (at source-code level) to other platforms, i.e. the library
authors do not guarantee that the functions will be available anywhere else
but in the specific library.

> Does anyone know of a more complete Posix Threads implementation?

The Win32 PThreads implementation at
(http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads-win32/) is the most complete one I
came around, but because it is open source, there is an ongoing effort of
making it better - eliminating bugs, adding functionality and increasing
efficiency. So as I see it you have 2 options:

1) Reconsider design of the application being ported, especially the
neccesity for non-portable functions and, if possible, replace them with
standard-compliant functions.

2) Implement the required non-portable functionality using Win32 API (if
possible) and share them with the rest of us by posting it to this mailing
list :). If the functions are reasonable, I am sure Ross would consider
adding them to the next pthreads snapshot and your name(s) would be added to
the "hall of fame" file named  "CONTRIBUTORS" :))).

Best regards,
	Milan