Re: Can I run pthread on win95?

Hi,

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, [ISO-8859-2] Micha³ Fryska wrote:

> I've downloaded pthreads-dll-1999-08-12 directory (pthreads-dll-1999-09-17
> lacks libpthread32.a).

I felt I needed to get an updated snapshot out urgently, but will
add the corresponding libpthread32.a as soon as I can.

> I've no problems with running it with Windows NT && cygwin-b20.
> But.. the same program compiled under Windows 95 with cygwin-b19 doesn't
> work at all. So... is there a chance to run it with W95??

What happens when you run the executable built under WNT on W95?
Ditto for the W95 built program running on WNT?

The pthreads-win32 should not be causing problems under W95, but the
library has not been tested with cygwin, only MSVC and Mingw32.

There are differences between W95/W98 and WNT, which are handled at
run-time by the library. For example, W95/W98 doesn't support the
Win32 TryEnterCriticalSection function, so under these versions of
Win32 pthreads-win32 mutexes are implemented using Win32 mutexes,
whereas under WNT they are implemented using the faster critical
sections.

This is how I currently test the library:

- build the library and DLL under WNT using MSVC, then build and run
  the tests using MSVC on WNT.

- build libpthread32.a under W98 using Mingw32, then build and run
  the tests using Mingw32 on W98 using this libpthread32.a and the
  WNT/MSVC generated DLL.

Regards.
Ross

| Ross Johnson         |   | E-Mail: rpj@ise.canberra.edu.au
| Info Sciences and Eng|___|
| University of Canberra   | FAX:    +61 6 2015227
| PO Box 1                 |
| Belconnen  ACT    2616   | WWW:    http://willow.canberra.edu.au/~rpj/
| AUSTRALIA                |