Cross compiling Newlib for ARM in Cygwin

Hello,

pardon my obtuseness: I'd like to build newlib for the arm-none-eabi target on a Cygwin host.

I have a arm-none-eabi GCC and Binutils which was built for native Windows.

I have downloaded newlib-cygwin in directory ./newlib-cygwin .  I create a directory ./newlib-cygwin-arm, and

$ export CC=arm-none-eabi-gcc
$ cd newlib-cygwin-arm
$ ../newlib-cygwin/configure

This fails with

See `config.log' for more details.

The final error config.log contains is
exit.c:(.text+0x2c): undefined reference to `_exit'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Configure:4487: error: C compiler cannot create executables

It seems perfectly logical that the C compiler cannot create executables:
it is in the process of building the library that it requires as a prerequisite
for creating executables!

Should I use a different ARM cross compiler (that comes with its own libraries)
or is there a better solution?

N.B. Some further errors are reported earlier:

configure:4383: arm-none-eabi-gcc -V >&5
arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'
arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
configure:4394: $? = 1
configure:4383: arm-none-eabi-gcc -qversion >&5
arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-qversion'
arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

I'm not sure if this is a problem.

For completeness, I've attached config.log .

Konrad Schwarz