This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the newlib project.
Re: [PATCH Newlib]Dont inline std when optimizing for size
- From: Can Finner <can dot finner at gmail dot com>
- To: pinskia at gmail dot com
- Cc: "bin.cheng" <bin dot cheng at arm dot com>, "<newlib at sourceware dot org>" <newlib at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:22:03 +0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH Newlib]Dont inline std when optimizing for size
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <001501cef70e$59d83ef0$0d88bcd0$ at arm dot com> <E07BE965-6498-4D24-A792-A4E3DB82DB9D at gmail dot com>
On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM, <email@example.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 11:47 PM, "bin.cheng" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> This is just a pickup in newlib. It specifies _NOINLINE_STATIC for std
>> since some version (4_8) GCC may inline this function even when we are
>> compiling for Os.
>> This is mainly a gcc problem and I have filed
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59479 for GCC.
>> Meanwhile, I think this is also wanted in Newlib, is it OK?
> Is it a size win on other targets like MIPS or PowerPC?
I will check it on MIPS/PowerPC, I think there will be benefit since
the function is inlined three times in __sinit.
>> 2013-12-12 Bin Cheng <email@example.com>
>> * libc/stdio/findfp.c (std): Don't inline when optimizing
>> for code size.