This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the newlib project.
Re: [PATCH] Provide posix_spawn implementation
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at sourceware dot org>
- To: Petr Hosek <phosek at chromium dot org>, newlib at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 23:28:21 -0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Provide posix_spawn implementation
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CABOUYF5rq6b1ix2Q4wEUXqM7DhE+DbjS_VLF0iDRA8tsae-SDg at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 01:07:21PM -0700, Petr Hosek wrote:
>I have ported over posix_spawn implementation from FreeBSD to newlib.
>It implements posix_spawn interface in terms of existing POSIX
>interfaces, in particular vfork and exec.
>This should make it easier to port existing code which uses
>posix_spawn, which is already supported by glibc as well as all BSD
>variants. In the longer term, posix_spawn could be also interesting to
>Cygwin as the interface is more akin to CreateProcess provided by
>Windows so the applications using posix_spawn instead of fork/vfork
>would get performance improvement compared to the current fork
Interesting stuff. I think Cygwin might like this if it's accepted.