This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the newlib project.
Re: [Patch, microblaze]: Add a small Linux BSP
- From: Michael Eager <eager at eagerm dot com>
- To: "Edgar E. Iglesias" <edgar dot iglesias at xilinx dot com>
- Cc: David Holsgrove <dholsgrove at xilinx dot com>, "newlib at sourceware dot org" <newlib at sourceware dot org>, "vinschen at redhat dot com" <vinschen at redhat dot com>, Edgar Iglesias <edgari at xilinx dot com>, john dot williams at xilinx dot com
- Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:50:32 -0700
- Subject: Re: [Patch, microblaze]: Add a small Linux BSP
- References: <43b50ab7-1dbd-46cb-aecb-dfeae1468096 at CO1EHSMHS020 dot ehs dot local> <20130723071043 dot GB9715 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <CAM=EW8bSJcxmPj6tSY=z2boUfFMxxZObDTRVaZnJEG7w0rLZVQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130723091125 dot GE9689 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <51F1D435 dot 4090406 at eagerm dot com> <9A6AC1C7F3D8BE4087EF9E18D31945D9076B5492 at XAP-PVEXMBX01 dot xlnx dot xilinx dot com> <c05da2c6-75ac-4603-aedd-2a55c37b6636 at CO1EHSMHS001 dot ehs dot local> <51F1EA23 dot 9080105 at eagerm dot com> <d609a861-7167-44f8-a813-a960c7626c4d at DB8EHSMHS017 dot ehs dot local>
On 07/25/13 21:10, Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 08:16:51PM -0700, Michael Eager wrote:
On 07/25/13 19:43, Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 04:10:51AM +0200, David Holsgrove wrote:
From: Michael Eager [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Friday, 26 July 2013 11:43 am
To: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; David Holsgrove
Subject: Re: [Patch, microblaze]: Add a small Linux BSP
On 07/23/13 02:11, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Jul 23 17:16, David Holsgrove wrote:
On 23 July 2013 17:10, Corinna Vinschen <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
On Jul 23 16:25, David Holsgrove wrote:
From: "David Holsgrove" <...>
2013-07-23 Edgar E. Iglesias <...>
* microblaze/Makefile.in: Add LINUX_BSP.
* microblaze/elf-gloss-linux.ld: New file.
* microblaze/elf-gloss-linux.specs: Likewise.
* microblaze/linux-crt0.S: Likewise.
* microblaze/linux-inbyte.c: Likewise.
* microblaze/linux-outbyte.c: Likewise.
* microblaze/linux-syscalls-wrap.c: Likewise.
* microblaze/linux-syscalls.S: Likewise.
* microblaze/linux-syscalls.h: Likewise.
I don't have write perms on newlib - can I request them, or can you
apply the patch for me?
This patch breaks breaks existing mb-gcc compilations.
Please revert the patch until it can be fixed.
Can you provide details regarding the breakage?
This should be a separate library and not linked in by default - what sort
of compilation errors are you seeing?
Reverting the patch breaks running the GCC + binutils testsuites on QEMU-user
which has proven to be an extremly valuable test environment for non linux
targets. It also doesn't break Xilinx internal testing environment on real HW.
I don't know how you test, but if you can post instructions, we will be happy
to help with fixing the issues you are seeing.
You can't break builds in FSF-gcc, simply because it doesn't break your internal
We are using FSF-gcc as much as anyone. We run our tests and post patches for
review. If something fails, we are happy to spend effort to fix things as long
as people post reasonable bug reports describing their test methods.
Edgar -- that does not match with the response I received to the failing
EH handling patch you submitted to gcc which caused a number of g++ regressions.
I'm working on a fix for this in Binutils, after waiting for you and David to
resolve the problem since March.
I'm the reviewer of the patches you post for Binutils, GCC, and GDB. I verify
that your patches are correct and working, since I have found that I cannot
depend on your testing. I didn't verify the Newlib patch because I'm not the
gatekeeper, and it appears that this patch causes regressions.
If you have a problem with this patch, please post complete instructions
on how to reproduce and we will do our best to fix what ever issue there is.
Your partial logs are unfortunately not helpful enough.
Here is a sample test:
mb-gcc testsuite/gcc.c-torture/execute/strcpy-1.c -fno-diagnostics-show-caret
-fdiagnostics-color=never -w -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -mno-xl-soft-mul
-mxl-barrel-shift -mcpu=v6.00.a -Wl,-defsym -Wl,_HEAP_SIZE=0x1000000
-Wl,-defsym -Wl,_STACK_SIZE=0x80000 -L microblaze_0/lib -lxil
-TLinkScr.ld -lm -o strcpy-1.x3
LinkScr.ld and libxil are from either EDK9.2i or EDK-14.2.
I don't have the failure log at the moment.
To be a bit constructive and improve our chances of reproducing, a couple of questions:
Can you provide the complete error log?
As I said, I don't have the log at the moment. When I
am able to reproduce the failure, I'll send you a log.
What version of GCC are you using?
Top of FSF tree.
What version of binutils?
Top of FSF tree.
How did you build your toolchain?
The same scripts I supplied Xilinx some time ago.
Which libxil are you using, from 9.2 or 14.2?
9.2. I'll verify the results are the same with 14.2.
Michael Eager email@example.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077