This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the newlib project.
Re: [PATCH, v3] ARM: Integrate Cortex-A15 optimized memcpy using NEON/VFP.
- From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha at arm dot com>
- To: "Schwarz, Konrad" <konrad dot schwarz at siemens dot com>
- Cc: Will Newton <will dot newton at linaro dot org>, Ramana Radhakrishnan <Ramana dot Radhakrishnan at arm dot com>, "newlib at sourceware dot org" <newlib at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:07:03 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH, v3] ARM: Integrate Cortex-A15 optimized memcpy using NEON/VFP.
- References: <515C5C47 dot 4090601 at linaro dot org> <5166F1AD dot 7010703 at arm dot com> <CANu=Dmhs_YKDj+6aJPO3tp_4Qk0NwhtYWUWibgy1tC3wWkd04g at mail dot gmail dot com> <8A6D8E6D161CD644B982513286072E8D02FB11 at DEFTHW99EJ1MSX dot ww902 dot siemens dot net> <5167D697 dot 5080906 at arm dot com> <8A6D8E6D161CD644B982513286072E8D02FCDC at DEFTHW99EJ1MSX dot ww902 dot siemens dot net> <5167FAE7 dot 40804 at arm dot com> <8A6D8E6D161CD644B982513286072E8D02FEFA at DEFTHW99EJ1MSX dot ww902 dot siemens dot net>
On 12/04/13 16:13, Schwarz, Konrad wrote:
From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com]
On Behalf Of Richard Earnshaw
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PATCH, v3] ARM: Integrate Cortex-A15 optimized memcpy
Everything you're talking about here is for full OS-based systems with
context switching. Since Newlib is primarily (outside of Cygwin) a
library for bare metal systems, surely we should provide developers
with ability to chose. Given that the code provides three variants for
different configurations, I don't really see what you are arguing
about, unless it is that we shouldn't give users a choice.
I'm worried that the floating-point version will be used as
I really don't see that as an issue for newlib. I think it's reasonable
to assume here that if the user has enabled FP/Neon, then they're happy
to use it whenever there's a benefit to be obtained by doing so.
Context switch issues are irrelevant on bare metal.