This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the newlib project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Problem with building PDFs

On 01/23/2013 01:20 PM, Freddie Chopin wrote:
W dniu 2013-01-23 17:47, Joel Sherrill pisze:
_Exit.def was empty for me when "make pdf" failed. I removed it
by hand and did another make and it succeeded. On another run,
there was another .def file which was empty.
But if I remove this file (which is generated during "make pdf") and do
another "make pdf" it is regenerated and the error is the same...

When I did a "make info pdf", it seemed to work more reliably.
Indeed "make info pdf" "works", but the end result is the same as
previously - the .pdf is created, yet the process exits with error /;

First run:

Output written on libc.pdf (326 pages, 695631 bytes).
Transcript written on libc.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdfetex exited with bad status, quitting.
make[2]: *** [libc.pdf] Error 1
Second run:

Output written on libm.pdf (98 pages, 356790 bytes).
Transcript written on libm.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdfetex exited with bad status, quitting.
make[2]: *** [libm.pdf] Error 1
Third run is OK, as the PDFs are there.

But your message made me do a little "search" and indeed there are some
empty (0 bytes) files called stmp-def in many folders + some "normal"
file that are empty:
[freddie@arch newlib]$ find -size 0
So three .def files that are empty. Could that be the reason? These 3
names cannot be found in the log of "make pdf", so I guess not...
No. The *.def files that are empty are the problem. They are
not being generated properly.
I guess the real reason is somewhere here:
I've got a failure for these 5 files:
Each failure is in exactly the same place:
Those files include references to "nodes" which are supposed
to be defined in the empty "*.def" files. So the linkage is broken
before some nodes are empty.

The empty *.def files are triggering the failures. Why the build
is generating them empty is the question.
@end table

@*<- here's the failing line
I bet such code is present only in these 5 files and nowhere else. In
each case the error is the same:

You can't use `@unskip' in vertical mode.
             @hfil @break @hbox {}@ignorespaces
l.81 @*
(the line number changes of course [; )

If I remove the troubling @* the error is gone...

Is there anything wrong with this LaTeX construct or maybe my LaTeX is


Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&  Development        On-Line Applications Research
Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS  Huntsville AL 35806
Support Available               (256) 722-9985

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]