assuming C89?

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Thu Mar 15 13:16:00 GMT 2007

Eric Blake wrote:

> I know that newlib was originally started from code that predates C89,
> hence all the macros in <_ansi.h> such as _DEFUN, _AND, and so forth to
> allow compilation with either K&R prototypes or standard prototypes.  But
> is it still the case that K&R syntax must be supported, or can new files
> assume C89 and avoid the contortions?  Similarly, can we now assume that
> _HAVE_STDC is always defined, that <stdarg.h> always exists, and other
> forms of C89 assumptions, or do new files still have to cater to the
> possibility of obsolete <varargs.h>?
>
> - --

The answer is we probably could assume C89 at this point in time without
harm, but the work has already been done and is trivial IMO.  I wouldn't
remove the _DEFUN and _EXFUN macros anyway because it provides the
ability for a platform to add specialized function attributes to all the
C library function declarations or definitions (e.g. see _ansi.h and
__CYGWIN__ reference).

-- Jeff J.