Re: New runner

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:25:03AM +0100, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Hi, Jeroen. Thanks for your reply.
> > I've just looked into this; when I delete the config and the
> > SimpleTestHarness I get compile errors in (only) 9 tests.
> > The following are easy to fix and run correctly with some
> > modifications
> > (read: removal of the cast):
> >     gnu/testlet/java/io/FileDescriptor/jdk11.java
> >     gnu/testlet/java/io/FileReader/jdk11.java
> >     gnu/testlet/java/io/FileWriter/jdk11.java
> >     gnu/testlet/java/io/RandomAccessFile/jdk11.java
> >
> > These are a bit more difficult; but I believe them to be
> > broken by design or not usable for a 'java -jar' kind of
> > test anyway.
> > I'll be more specific:
> > These 4 tests each test some socket stuff based completely on the
> > assumtion that there is someone (an smtp host) listening on a
> > pre-configured host/port.  This is quite an assumtion that is not very
> > usable in the proposed (portable) test-jar.
> >     gnu/testlet/java/net/Socket/SocketTest.java
> >     gnu/testlet/java/net/Socket/jdk12.java
> >     gnu/testlet/java/net/Socket/jdk13.java
> >     gnu/testlet/java/net/Socket/jdk14.java
>
> I don't think they're inherently unusable from a jar, I'd like to see a
> gnu.testlet.config version that reads the settings from a properties
> file (or whatever) instead of hardcoding them in the auto dance.

The way the config settings are shipped is not the issue here;  the
question where a socket can connect to that is reachable from the testing
machine so the test does not fail because of wrong reasons is a bigger
problem. And the one I tried to list above.
When we solve that issue then we can think about how to config it.  I have
no idea how to do so; so I'm open to suggestions!

> > The following test tests things like being able to open a
> > file we ship in mauve (in the same package) and other stuff thats
> > really really basic. (like File.seperator) Quite useless to test
> > in an environment that is shipped in a jar :-)
> >     gnu/testlet/java/io/File/jdk11.java
>
> This is more tricky to handle, but hopefully we can figure out a way to
> get this test in as well.

When we are actually running this test we already did a 'java -jar' and we
found several classes in that jar.  Does that not imply that the tests in
that class will pass?

--
Thomas Zander