How to run the testsuite with non-gcc and/or extra options?

Hi!

If I configure libffi as:

$ mkdir foo
$ cd foo
$ ../configure CC=whatever

And then "make", the library is built with whatever C compiler I specified.
But if I then do "make check", the testsuite insists on using gcc, and
it insists on using the flags specified in testsuite/libffi.call/call.exp
and testsuite/libffi.special/special.exp.  I can't figure out how to
make the testsuite use some other compiler or how to add more switches
to the used compiler (MinGW gcc *needs* -posix, or something equivalent,
as it otherwise uses a printf that thinks that long doubles are the same
size as doubles(1)).

Does the testsuite really have to be this inflexible?

*time passes*

Ok, I can create a compiler wrapper named "xgcc" and warp options and
invoke whatever compiler I wish.  But the question still stands, why the
inflexibility?

Or rather, what is it that am I not getting?

Cheers,
Peter

(1) http://sourceware.org/ml/libffi-discuss/2012/msg00117.html