Re: libffi API improvements

On 03/11/2010 01:14 PM, Dan Witte wrote:
> ----- "Rainer Orth" <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> wrote:
>
>> Let me repeat another time: I'm not interested in changing or
>> redefining
>> the libffi API in any way.  That's for the libffi maintainers to
>> pursue.
>>
> Sorry for distracting from your original subject -- let's move API discussion to another subject thread.
>
> Of course, suggestions for API are perfectly in scope for this list, so debating worthwhile changes is a useful thing to do.
>
> If the scope of these changes involves changing existing exported APIs, then we'd probably want to release as libffi 4.0.0. I'm not sure how Anthony feels about this. Thoughts?

I'm all for cleaning up the libffi API.

I know there are some inconsistencies, especially with regard to error
handling.   People have tried to fix this in the past, but nothing sticked.

I'm also not a fan of the "raw" interface, which is really just an
architecture specific optimization.  It's been a while since I've looked
carefully at it though.

Anthony Green
650 352-3402