Re: Updated fr_FR file

2008/3/21, Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:16:34PM +0100, Stéphane Raimbault wrote:
>  > 2008/3/16, Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>:
>  > > Hi
>  > >
>  > >  I would advocate against the abmon having different length of the
>  > >  abbreviations.
>  >
>  > I don't understand, can you explain your objection? I received bug
>  > reports about the current ones so I made this patch to fix these
>  > abbreviations (abmon).
>

> The abbriviated day and month names are used many places for system
>  administration, such as in flie lists (ls) and many log files.
>  Using names with different lengths would be quite disturbing for reading
>  such links. Also using periods here would be quite strange.

ls -l use ISO date 2008-03-21 by default, ls -l --time-style=locale
can be use to show abbmon in your locale but I don't think it's
frequently used and the alignment shift of one char isn't really
annoying.

My Linux distributions are configured to use French and I use the new
French translation of the glibc for 2 months. I have many logs on my
current system for Apache, Xorg, postfix, PostgreSQL, gdm, MySQL,
proftpd, etc, all these logs are in English except one, PostgreSQL
8.3, but the date use the ISO format.

You said "many log files" which one? If yes, what's the problem?
If required, many programming languages provides function like rjust()
in Python to resolve alignements problems[1].

>  Maybe we would need two kinds of abbreviated names, one for system use,
>  and one for more documebt GUI use.

Do you want to add yet another conversion specification to strftime
which breaks your application on previous glibc releases? It's already
difficult to translate the glibc and many developpers don't know how
to localize, so don't add some difficulty, please!

>  Hmm, I did not really get very useful information and explanations from
>  you either. If you had sent me a mail explaining the changes  you as a
>  group wanted, just like you sent to this list, then our communication
>  could have started on a better foot. As far as I remember it you just
>  asked me to look thru all your discussion on your mail list for
>  documentation of the proposed changes. This was even in French, but
>  fortunately I can read french to some extent.

It's a bit strange for a French contact, isn't it? I thought you spoke
French when I got in touch with you. Why did you say me you don't
understand the talks?
Like previously said, you can remove the email of Traduc.org project
in fr_FR but please, add a French contact too because French people
speaks French!

> > >  Furthermore there are some of the fields that are not according to
> > >  14652, eg language and territory should be ISO 639 and ISO 3166
> > >  conformant.
> >
> > As you can see in the diff, I didn't modify these fields, can you
> > indicate the required changes?
>
> Yes, I will look at it, and also see where they came from.

Can you send me the changes to update the file, please?

Stéphane

[1] a loop to know the max size of abbmon is required.