Re: Updated fr_FR file

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:16:34PM +0100, Stéphane Raimbault wrote:
> 2008/3/16, Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>:
> > Hi
> >
> >  I would advocate against the abmon having different length of the
> >  abbreviations.
>
> I don't understand, can you explain your objection? I received bug
> reports about the current ones so I made this patch to fix these
> abbreviations (abmon).

The abbriviated day and month names are used many places for system
administration, such as in flie lists (ls) and many log files.
Using names with different lengths would be quite disturbing for reading
such links. Also using periods here would be quite strange.

Maybe we would need two kinds of abbreviated names, one for system use,
and one for more documebt GUI use.

> >  I would also like the contact address to be ratained, as I am the
> >  original contributor of the spec.
> >

> Yes, if you want, and you can also remove my email address. However,
> you don't represent a French group and I sent to you some emails on
> Feb 19 and Feb 29, and I didn't receive any useful reply or comments
> so I don't think your are the right contact. Do you have someone else
> to suggest?

Hmm, I did not really get very useful information and explanations from
you either. If you had sent me a mail explaining the changes  you as a
group wanted, just like you sent to this list, then our communication
could have started on a better foot. As far as I remember it you just
asked me to look thru all your discussion on your mail list for
documentation of the proposed changes. This was even in French, but
fortunately I can read french to some extent.

Stll I am prepared to work with you. I am also the editor of 14652
and I have done work for a number of other locales, so I have a good
knowledge of the overall system.

> >  Furthermore there are some of the fields that are not according to
> >  14652, eg language and territory should be ISO 639 and ISO 3166
> >  conformant.
>
> As you can see in the diff, I didn't modify these fields, can you
> indicate the required changes?

Yes, I will look at it, and also see where they came from.

> >  The rest of the changes seem OK, if that is what you would like.
> >

> Fine but the changes aren't personal choices, I don't define the
> conventions only the use of "avril" abbreviation is more arguable.

I meant "you" in the plural sense ("vous" en français)

Best regards
keld