Re: about glibc performance

On 3/22/19 5:38 PM, Eric Wong wrote:
Jimmie <zpjjimmie@163.com> wrote:
Hi, For serveral days, I did some test  about the memory
performance of glibc(2.17) and tcmalloc(gperformance 2.7), and my
test results indicate that glibc is more efficient then tcmalloc. generally, people think tcmalloc is efficient than glibc 2.3, but I
use glibc 2.17, so I wonder if glibc 2.17 did some improvement on
memory performance. looking forward to your reply, thank you.

You may also want to check out my proof-of-concept wfcqueue patch which optimizes message passing:

https://public-inbox.org/libc-alpha/20180731084936.g4yw6wnvt677miti@dcvr/

 Unfortunately, integrating wfcqueue/URCU into glibc will take much
effort :<

FAOD I really like the direction these patches take glibc's malloc.
I just don't have time to push your idea to completion. I know it's
a lot of effort to push novel ideas forward, but it touches
pieces of code which are used by a lot of programs. The best tooling
we have today is malloc trace/simulation to capture and compare
workloads before and after:
https://pagure.io/glibc-malloc-trace-utils

So the hard part is not the changes to the code, but it's in doing
the before/after performance comparison for a variety of workloads
and capturing those workloads with the tracer so others can look
at and run them. We don't even have a good place to store large
workloads (we're talking to overseers to see if we can enable some
git-annex support on sourceware, git lfs is still too new).