Re: about glibc performance

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 21:18, Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov@google.com> wrote:
> The claims you didn't formally rebut are probably these:
> http://goog-perftools.sourceforge.net/doc/tcmalloc.html

I know, IIRC at least 5 people had pointed me to that link back in the
day to tell me that I was wasting my time working on glibc and that I
should be working on the clouds ;)

> Note that that document is from 2005, and talks about benchmarking
> against GLIBC 2.3 on Intel P4 processors in 32-bit mode.
>
> It's not like TCMalloc has stood still for the last 15 years, but I
> don't believe there have been any recent open-source releases of it.

Agreed, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  I mainly want to point out
that the assertion in that blog post is quite outdated and that the
comparison is a lot closer today.  Not only that, there will be
massive variations based on use cases and such evaluations may only
end up being of academic interest.

Siddhesh
--
http://siddhesh.in