Re: getaddrinfo chokes at hostnames containing "emoji" characters

On 05/16/2018 10:40 AM, Name Surname wrote:
Greetings everyone.

I recently bought a domain name containing "emoji" characters, as a
novelty and in order to do some experiments. I tried getting the IP
address associated to it using getaddrinfo, however, it errs and returns
"Name or service not known". The same thing happens with any program
that uses glibc for name resolution. I understand that emoji domains are
not valid according to IDNA2008, however, some ccTLDs sell them, they
were supported according to IDNA2003, and web browsers resolve them
normally according to IDNA2003 (at least firefox does).

Is this a bug or a feature?

In the near future, glibc will use the system libidn2 library to implement AI_IDN getaddrinfo support. You will have to convince the libidn2 maintainers to enable Emoji support (by default), but as long as there is no published standard for that at all (perhaps with the exception of Unicode TR46 transitional mode, which is not recommended), this seems difficult.

Thanks,
Florian