Re: building every released version of GCC starting with 4.1.2, with appropriate matching glibc

On 08/04/17 01:29, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 7 April 2017 at 17:26, Toebs Douglass wrote:
>> I'm also not quite sure if the instructions are quite correct - or
>> perhaps it is that the options being passed to GCC configure have
>> misleading documentation.  For example, the use of "--with-newlib" seems
>> most odd, since we're using glibc.
>
> That's explained in the LFS docs:
>
> "Since a working C library is not yet available, this ensures that the
> inhibit_libc constant is defined when building libgcc. This prevents
> the compiling of any code that requires libc support. "

Yes.

The GCC docs say this option is used when newlib is being used, rather
than glibc.

The LFS docs say, as above, that where a C library is not yet available,
this option must be used.

These two descriptions do not make sense with regard to each other.

It is fairly likely the LFS in fact knows something more about this
option and is using it for a purpose other than that described by the
GCC docs.