Re: Build Error - gcc must provide the <cpuid.h> header

On 5/20/16, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 20 May 2016 02:19, Sreyan Chakravarty wrote:
>> I need GLIBC version 2.14 so I have downloaded the sources from -:
>>
>> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.14.tar.gz
>>
>> (is it the correct version that I want ?)
>
> yes
>
>> Okay so now I am trying to build GLIBC version 2.14 on my virtual
>> system but when I run configure in my build directory I keep getting
>> the following error message:
>>
>> checking cpuid.h usability... no
>> checking cpuid.h presence... no
>> checking for cpuid.h... no
>> configure: error: gcc must provide the <cpuid.h> header
>>
>> I think (correct me if I am wrong) that configure is thinking that I
>> want to cross-compile GLIBC.
>
> no, that's not the issue.  you're using too old a version of gcc.
> you need to upgrade it to build that version of glibc.
> -mike

The INSTALL file in the sources say that I only need gcc 4.1. How come
you are telling me that I need a more recent version of gcc. I am
sorry I don't mean to be rude but I really am confused here.

I have attached the INSTALL file please check line 299.

Regards,
Sreyan Chakravarty