Adding AF_VSOCK to getaddrinfo(3)

The Linux AF_VSOCK address family is used for host/guest communication
on VMware hypervisors and I am working on virtio support for KVM and
other open source hypervisors.

Existing programs can be extended to support AF_VSOCK - the effort is
similar to adding IPv6 support to a program.  Many programs already rely
on getaddrinfo(3) so I'd like to add AF_VSOCK support there too.

I have the following textual representation in mind:

Represent AF_VSOCK <uint32_t cid, uint32_t port> addresses textually as
node "[vsock:<cid>]" and service "<port>".  For example, cid 2 and port
80
is written as node "[vsock:2]" and service "80".

This is close to the IPv6 notation but not a valid IPv6 address, so it's
possible to extend address parsing code to handle the AF_VSOCK case.

Is it reasonable to extend getaddrinfo(3) in this way?

Thanks,
Stefan