glibc 2.20 make install

hi all,

I remember reading that upgrading glibc with make install is not a good idea
or "not supported". What is the correct way of upgrading glibc?

make install worked for me so far as some basic tools like rm, mv and ln are
static. But when upgrading from glibc 2.17 to glibc 2.20, I had to use a
statically linked msgfmt and I had to revert this change from the Changelog:

   * Makerules (make-shlib-link): Use rellns-sh to get relative name

I hope that either there is an easy way to avoid such problems or that the
developers try to keep "make install" simple - so that it can be used for
upgrading. It has worked for me for many years.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer