Re: Memory consumption of iconv

Hi Carlos,

thanks a lot for your valid suggestions.

On 21.03.2014 19:00, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
[...]
Use vfork() if possible? You can't get away from copying the entire address
space unless you are doing a very restricted set of operations after the
*fork(). Alternatively use system() and expect that the implementation does
a good job.
Both may be helpful for getting around the memory-copy problem, but

1.) we actually need a solution that works in Python, and
2.) to our users we offer the possibility to setup different "shell environments" (regarding the defined variables, like PATH/CCFLAGS/...) for each build command, so we have to be able to pass an "env" dictionary to the child process.

So we're somewhat stuck, I guess. ;)

Best regards,

Dirk