Re: Minimal set of locale related files needed for gettext to work in an intramfs

On Saturday 27 October 2012 19:04:25 Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Didier Spaier wrote:
> > I use gettexet to localize the shell scripts. This works on the
> > installed distribution, with glibc installed of course.
> >
> > But I should add as less files as possible to the installer in order
> > not to increase significantly its size, as it has to be loaded into
> > RAM.
>
> Doesn't /usr/bin/gettext.sh come from the gettext project[1] rather
> than libc?

bash supports localization natively with $"foo" syntax.  that only requires
glibc's gettext() related functions to load .mo files and extract proper
translations (based on the current $LANG/$LC_MESSAGES settings).  that
wouldn't require anything from the gettext package to work.

it might require some of the charset conversion related files depending on the
actual locale settings (so like /usr/lib64/locale/locale-archive or the split
files generated with localedef & the Debian-specific locale-gen), and perhaps
some of the gconv related modules (in /usr/lib64/gconv/*.so).  but if you
restrict yourself to C and UTF8, then i think those are native to glibc (or i
could be wrong and you do need UNICODE.so ... someone can certainly correct me
on this point).

but yes, if by "use gettext" the OP means "i use gettext.sh and `gettext`",
then he's talking about the gettext package and not glibc.  not sure how much
(if any) gettext uses of the native C library's localization and/or
internationalization code.
-mike