Re: glibc 2.15 and libasound

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Mike Frysinger wrote:

On Sunday 25 March 2012 22:57:51 Allin Cottrell wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Sunday 25 March 2012 13:45:09 Allin Cottrell wrote:
There's a problem that quite a few people have noted with
recent glibc and libasound (specifically the use of libdl by
the latter). I was hoping this might have gone away with glibc
2.15 but it's still there. Maybe it's not a glibc bug, though
it looks rather like it. The symptom is that (e.g.) alsa's
"aplay" utility reliably segfaults when called to play a wav
file.

I have inserted debugging statements in libasound (version
1.0.25, dlmisc.c), to announce all its uses of the libdl
functions, and run aplay under valgrind (where it doesn't
actually segfault). I'm attaching the results. It looks as if
there's something wrong with glibc's do_lookup_x(): it's
reading from freed memory in response to dlsym() following a
successful invocation of dlopen() by libasound.

please try some of the patches for known issues. you can find some: http://sources.gentoo.org/gentoo/src/patchsets/glibc/2.15/

i think you want the 0050 one.

Thanks, will do. However, I think this has been a "known issue" since before glibc 2.14.1 (which, BTW, seemed to sink without much trace), so the fact that that it's still present in the 2.15 release seems strange.

your expectations are perfectly reasonable. however, the current release is as the current release is, and i'm just attempting to assist.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Allin Cottrell