Re: Encouraging the kernel(?) to more efficiently wake my threads

2011/11/6 Ángel González <keisial@gmail.com>:
> I think your query should be 'what is it running' (eg. running top or
> some kernel
> thread), from which you could then approach to the on how to make it run
> the
> worker instead of that. Without further data, I find unlikely that it is
> staying idle.

Angel,

Thank you for your comment.  I agree with you and also would find it
unlikely that the fourth core is staying idle.  Strangely, it is.  It
was the idle activity in top that alerted me to the problem and
started this journey.

I neglected to expand upon the "underutilization" that I referenced in
my original message.  The fourth core is completely idle.  According
to top it is doing nothing.  This was confirmed by another application
that showed the fourth core has been slowed down from 2.3 GHz to 800
MHz in an attempt to conserve power (CPU "ondemand frequency
scaling").  The idle processor in actuality bounces around among the
four, but there is always one or two idle processors while this CPU
bound task is running.

Chris