Re: strange threads problem using glibc-2.10.1

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell@wfu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2009, Allin Cottrell wrote:
>
>> Although gdb failed, valgrind produces something, for the segfault
>> in ld-2.10.1.so when I run wine via make...
>
> Sorry to keep talking to myself, but I might as well put all my
> info out there. ?The trouble I was having seems to be related to
> the definition of __ASSUME_AT_RANDOM as it affects dl-osinfo.h.
> I see this is activated for Linux kernels >= 2.6.29, and I used
> --enable-kernel=2.6.29 when configuring glibc. ?I'm running kernel
> 2.6.29.3.
>
> However, I rebuilt glibc-2.10.1 with __ASSUME_AT_RANDOM undef'd,
> and the segfaults I mentioned have stopped. ?In case it's of any
> interest I'm attaching .config from the kernel build.

Excellent sleuthing, thanks for posting your final conclusion.

Please remember that you are building the bleeding edge of both the
kernel and glibc. Integration problems are normally shaken out by
distribution vendors before any user sees them, but in your case, you
are your own distribution, so you may be left to debug these problems
yourself.

A couple of notes:

1) The error:
~~~
warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic error
~~~
Most likely indicates that your libthread_db.so is out of sync with
your libpthread.so. The debugger must use the matched pair of
libraries as built by glibc. If your new glibc is in a chroot, and
your gdb is not in a chroot, then you must preload the appropriate
libthread_db.so.

2) You are using gcc 4.4.0, which is in regression fixing mode, and
may not be stable enough for your uses. I suggest always using the
most recent stable release branch which is 4.3. I don't want to
dissuade you from working on, or learning about, the compiler, but it
sounds like that isn't your goal for the moment.

Enjoy!