Re: intl missing files make check error

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 10:31:48 JohnT wrote:

please do not top post

> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 March 2009 09:52:03 JohnT wrote:
> >> Hi. Recently I've been trying to build glibc from tarballs from
> >> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/, working with versions 2.4, 2.5.1, 2.6.1,
> >> 2.7 and 2.9. I've found several issues that I didn't find in the glibc
> >> bugzilla or mail archive. Do you want one issue per new message rather
> >> than several?
> >>
> >> System: Mandriva 2006 Powerpack, i686, installed kernel 2.6.12, glibc
> >> 2.3.5, gcc 4.2.4 (and 4.0.1), gettext 0.17, binutils 2.18, gmp 4.2.4,
> >> mpfr 2.31.
> >>
> >> After building several of the versions including 2.4 and 2.9, I found
> >> that "make check" would fail in intl on the following commands:
> >
> > if the tests pass in the latest version, no one cares about older ones.
> > so i wouldnt waste time building/running anything but the latest.
>
> Generally speaking, one might like to know when an error was incurred to
> have a better idea of what change caused it. This is often done in other
> testing that I've worked on.

if you were speaking generally, that would be one thing.  but if you're going
to report an error (and bugzilla should be used for that), you should show the
latest version failing and simply make a note that it's been this way sine XX
version.

if there's a problem with the dist tarball generation, then Alfred would like
to know.  if there's a problem with the cvs tarball snaps, then that should be
posted to libc-alpha.
-mike