default target architecture not set

Using tarballs from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/ on system: Mandriva
2006 Powerpack, i686, installed kernel 2.6.12, glibc 2.3.5, gcc 4.2.4,
gettext 0.17, binutils 2.18, gmp 4.2.4, mpfr 2.31.

I had problems building versions of glibc >= 2.6 and learned from someone that these versions don't seem to set the target architecture with a reasonable default such as the target system that is detected by the configure script. I haven't checked to see if the --with-cpu=CPU configuration setting works, but in versions prior to 2.6 the architecture defaulted to the target system's architecture. This isn't exactly a bug, but it certainly seems undocumented and puts people at a disadvantage in not knowing they must add either the --with-cpu=CPU setting or a compiler flag such as -march=i586.

The two obvious ways to deal with this shortcoming are to fix the documentation (README, INSTALL) or to get the default architecture setting from the target system setting.

John T