setproctitle()

Several programs have implemented their own kludgy setproctitle() hack by modifying environment. I've also implemented it, but I don't dare to make it enabled by default. So could glibc implement setproctitle() internally to make it less likely to break? Or could this be implemented better by changing Linux kernel somehow? I'd really like to get this commonly available for Linux users.