Re: -fno-stack-protector (was: Building glibc from CVS on x86 UbuntuHardy)

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Mark Seaborn wrote:

Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote:

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Ryan S. Arnold wrote:
Try it without the -fno-stack-protector too to see if that works.

That doesn't work. Why not? I see it says "Checking for -fstack-protector" while configuring. Is it because the Ubuntu compiler switches this on by default and the libc configure doesn't know to turn it off?

That's exactly it. Ubuntu has some notes about this on <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GccSsp>.

By the way, I have some notes on issues like this on
<http://plash.beasts.org/wiki/GlibcBuildIssues> which may be useful to
people on this mailing list.

Thanks for these links. Given the increasing popularity of this sort of thing with distribution packagers, could one or two of these pointers be incorporated in the glibc INSTALL and/or FAQ documents? Even an adhoc URL or two would help for now, and maybe glibc could get its own documentation on the subject which would be distribution-neutral.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | Psalms 19:12 <-- tagline for the guilty