NSS modules and errno if key not found

Hi,

I found a problem today when debugging some NSS releated problems.

If somebody calls getgrnam_r (or any other reentrant NSS function),
the return value of the function will be errno if the status is not
NSS_STATUS_SUCCESS.

But in the case of NSS_STATUS_NOTFOUND, no NSS module sets errno,
so the return value is a random value, but should be zero.

Who should set errno in this case? Should all NSS modules set
errno? Or should we explicit return 0 in the getXXbyYY_r functions
for NSS_STATUS_NOTFOUND?

Testcase:

#include <grp.h>
#include <errno.h>

int main ()
{
   char buffer[8048];
   struct group *result = (void *)12, gbuf;

   errno = 211;

   int ret = getgrnam_r ("notexistent", &gbuf, buffer, sizeof (buffer),
                         &result);

   printf ("errno=%d, ret=%d, result=%p\n", errno, ret, result);

   return 0;
}

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE Linux AG        Maxfeldstr. 5                 D-90409 Nuernberg