Re: versioning

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 02:08, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Therefore I want to go to a time-based version numbering.  This will
> help to pinpoint the base version a bug reporter is using easier.  The
> sub-release number should perhaps be bumped every week, maybe every two
> week.  I.e., we'd have 2.3.3 next, a week later 2.3.4.  I stepping to
> 2.4 is a bit too irritating.

If we're looking at a time-based scheme, perhaps the date can be
incorporated easily.  The middle digit could easily represent the number
of years since 2000, the final digit the week number, so we'd be at
2.3.49 now.

That takes care of the wrapping issue, and provides useful date
information at a quick glance.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
In the United States, there isn't a government database that hasn't been
misused by the very people entrusted with keeping its information safe.