Re: going forward

We definitely need to get the gcc3 solution in ASAP.  Jakub has been the
main man on this, but I don't know how much time he has had to spare lately.

Speaking for the SC, we are all eager to use any influence we might have on
any relevant person's boss to make fixing this and testing the fixes a top
priority right away, if their time has been allocated elsewhere by their job.

Enough has been done already, that I would hope we could get this fully
resolved by a week from today.  I'd be in favor of making a 2.2.5 release
very soon thereafter just to include the gcc3 compatibility, and any more
random bug fixes that happen to come by in the next week or two.  Depending
on the details of the code, it might make sense to try to synchronize this
with a gcc3 minor release also including nothing much but the compatability
fixes, and we (the SC) will coordinate as needed with the gcc folks if that
turns out to be a wise thing to do.