unfortunately: 2.2.4pre3

Unfortunately there will be a pre3.  Some of the changes of the last
days, especially the ld.so and malloc changes, strongly suggest making
another test release.

And because of that I've checked in two more patches I had around.
The first is malloc patch which removes the getenv calls and which
improves the performance of the null program by whopping 0.5-1% :-).
Considering that the runtime includes relocation etc this quite good.
The more important effect was that getenv is now not used anymore, one
runtime relocation less.

While doing this I found that the similar function in ld.so was not
optimal and, more importantly, that there was a bug in dl-reloc with
regard of profiling handling.  This lead to finding a bug in the Arm
profiling handling.  Overall, it seems to have been worth it, 2 more
bugs found.

The second patch was the one optimizing getopt.  This was really low
risk.  While doing this I think I found out that today's bash doesn't
do this trick anymore.  Tomorrow I'll check the various bash sources
to find out whether this feature is really gone.  If this is the case
the whole function will be dropped.

Oh, the libio changes I checked in today are quite important
optimizations.  Now functions which create temporary streams are not
using locking on them anymore.  This is quite a big improvement for
multi-threaded apps since the locking functions use instructions which
are quite expensive and have influence on all other applications as
well.

Unless somebody has another problem which needs attention I'll make
pre3 tomorrow and with some luck we have the final somewhere between
Wednesday and Friday.